10 August 2013

DIY Reupholster Cane Chair Rags to Riches Appeal



My husband and I bought this chair at the Salvation Army Thrift store for $15.00 originally selling for $30.00. It was our lucky day because it was customer appreciation day and everything was 50% off! While I was looking around I was trying to persuade him to help me reupholster these huge chairs. My persuasion didn't work so well, plus he made a good point that none of the chairs I've chosen were going to fit in the Volkswagen (seriously can't wait when it's time to buy the S.U.V). We finally made our way to the cashier to purchase unique vases for my next D.I.Y and my husband spotted this chair right in front. He decided he wanted it despite the fact we had a compact car. I loved the chair and I went home happy with thoughts of what the new chair might look like. Oh the endless possibilities.

Items I used:
1. Scissors
2. Staple Gun
3. Sander with fine sand paper
4. Black and White Spray paint
5. Primer
6. 2 yards of fabric from Walmart $13.00 
7. Pliers to remove staples
8. Batting and Foam (optional). We reused the Foam.
9. Sewing Machine
10. Glue Gun



First Step: Remove Staples with pliers and before you start keep in mind that you might want to remember how the chair was originally before pulling things apart. There is nothing more aggrevating then trying to figure out what piece goes where. 

Second Step: Remove the paint by using a fine grain sand paper. My husband did this part with an electric sander, much easier and way quicker than doing it manually. Sand till you have removed all the old paint. The new color you've chosen will adhere better and last a lot longer than it would have painted over the old paint. Once your done sanding dust or wipe it clean with a cloth. I also read somewhere that waxing is a good technique to prime the wood before painting and insure a smoother surface.
Third Step: Prime, color and finish. Start by priming or waxing to insure the paint will stick. After priming use your preference of brush or spray paint and apply your first coat. Wait about 20 to 30 minutes to apply the second coat (make sure to follow the instructions on the label for proper wait time) and again wait patiently for another few minutes to apply another coat if need be. Last but not least and this is optional use a gloss finish for a shiny look. We are pleased with the way our chair looks without the gloss finish. I actually love the matified look. 


Fourth Step: Replace the old unfashionable fabric from Grandmas chair with your choice of fabric. I purchased my not so expensive fabric from Walmart. Although the pattern wasn't close to what I have visioned, it was still perfect. Trace and cut accordingly to the shape of the cushion leaving a couple of inches for mistakes. Make sure that it will wrap around enough for you to staple it to the wooden frame of the cushion. It also helps to use the old fabric as a pattern. This may seem complicated to understand but once you've kept in mind the original placement and the way the fabric was stapled to the body of the chair the task will be less daunting. 

 Fifth Step: Staple each fabric to where the old fabric was removed from. I also redid the double cording trim by sewing the new fabric on to the recycled cords. I'm a beginner sewer and I absolutely did an outstanding job (great big ol' pat on the back for me.) once that was done I hot glued the trim to the seat. I took the easy way out and replaced the old buttons by spray painting it black. I definitely could have purchased some new buttons or hot glued black fabric but this was less money out of our pockets plus it was a lot quicker. 

Sixth step: Take a step back and marvel at your creation. Sew a new pillow if you have left over fabric this is exactly what I did because I needed a new throw pillow for my red couch. Take tons of pictures and put a little cutie in it to model the chair. Once you've finished that, post that picture on Facebook baby because this is one hell of a job well done and that is something worth sharing. 

No comments:

Disqus for oronvelo